Skip to main content



Family Sponsorship


A Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, dependent children, parents, grandparents and other eligible relatives for permanent residency.

Spouse, Partner or Dependent Children

The government is committed to keeping families together. If you are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children for permanent residency. After living in Canada for a period of time as a permanent resident, the family member may qualify for citizenship.

Basic Requirements:

  • Sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and be 18 years or older
  • Sponsor can sponsor spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, dependent children, sponsor’s mother, father, grandmother or grandfather
  • Must promise to support the sponsored family member financially
  • Must intend to live in Canada

Parents and Grandparents

Canadians and permanent residents can sponsor their parents or grandparents to become permanent residents. There is an annual cap for new applications, which usually resets in January.

Other Options for Parents and Grandparents

The Super Visa is a multiple entry visa designed for parents and grandparents that remains a fast and convenient option for holders wanting to spend longer periods of time with their families in Canada.

Subscribe to our newsletter for advice, tips, and the latest news.