Sterling practices corporate and commercial law and is a partner at Bell Alliance LLP. He offers a number of skillsets to his clients. His work is thorough and efficient, mindful of his clients’ budgets. He works collaboratively with his clients and their professional advisors to achieve a result that is legally sound, flexible for future planning, and pragmatic. Finally, when faced with challenging circumstances, he maintains his friendly and non-confrontational attitude towards his clients and any other people involved to ensure transactions complete as smoothly as possible.
Sterling has helped individuals and small-to-medium-sized businesses:
- Set up their new business, whether it’s a home-based business, medical or dental professional, tech entrepreneur, construction trade, realtor, or other person needing help with navigating the start or continuation of their business
- Incorporate, amalgamate, dissolve, and restore corporations.
- Restructure corporations to accommodate business succession goals.
- Draft and review contracts such as commercial leases, shareholder agreements, partnership agreements, real estate co-ownership agreements, independent contractor agreements, loan agreements, and joint venture agreements.
- Draft and settle family trusts.
- Create limited partnerships for limited scope projects such as real estate development.
- Buy and sell businesses by asset purchase or share purchase.
- Bring on new investors through share issuances.
- Complete comprehensive tax-driven transactions to implement instructions received from clients’ tax advisors.
An Albertan by birth, Sterling found his way to the sands and forests of the West Coast where he attended UBC for his undergraduate degree. He earned his law degree at Bond University on the Gold Coast of Australia. Sterling is called to the Alberta and British Columbia Bars and joined Bell Alliance in 2011. He plays golf, hockey, and guitar, enjoys making pasta from scratch and sourdough bread, is learning to make furniture through woodworking, and occasionally dabbles in photography (the website home page photo and most of the profile photos were photographed by him).