Skip to main content

New Bridging Open Work Permit for Economic Class Permanent Resident Applicants


Citizenship and Immigration Canada introduced a new work permit for foreigners with a permanent resident application in process, available immediately. The Bridging Open Work Permit enables certain economic class applicants to maintain their status and continue working in Canada while they await a final decision on their permanent residence application. Foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) may be considered for an one-year open work permit. To be eligible for a bridging open work permit, the applicants must currently be in Canada on a valid work permit that is due to expire within 4 months and must have received confirmation from CIC that their permanent resident application is eligible under one of the four Economic Classes.

Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Operational Bulletin here.


Subscribe to our newsletter for advice, tips, and the latest news.