Skip to main content

An Overall Guide to Study in Canada


How to Study in Canada

If you have ever been interested to study in Vancouver, BC, there are now more opportunities than ever. The Canadian government recently announced that they intend to increase the number of study permits available for foreign students to learn in Vancouver, BC.

Studying in Canada can also be a path to immigrate to Vancouver and live permanently in Canada.

Studying college students

How to choose a school

  • Primary and secondary schools – these are schools for children of 6 – 18 years of age. Each of the provinces in Canada regulate these schools. To find out more about primary and secondary schools visit: Ministry of Education
  • Post-secondary institutions (universities, technical schools and colleges) – Each Post secondary school is different and has its own application process. For more information about the programs available and applications please review the school’s website. For details on the post secondary schools visit:                        Association of Universities and Colleges of CanadaAssociation of Canadian Community CollegesCanadian Information Centre for International CredentialsYou can also visit Education In Canada to get more information about requirements, application and admission information for programs of study.
  • Language schools – You can learn English or French at a language school in Vancouver, BC. There are several  schools in Canada that teach English or French as a second language.Provincial governments regulate language programs at public institutions but not necessarily the language programs at private schools, so it is important to speak with a qualified immigration consultant in Vancouver. Bell Alliance will be pleased to assist you with this. For more information about private language programs visit:Languages Canada

How to apply to a school

After you have looked at the schools that you are interested in, you will need to apply to the school. Each school will have different requirements. Apply early and allow at least one year for your application to be reviewed by the school. If the school approves your application, you will receive a letter of acceptance. You need the letter of acceptance to be able to apply for a Study Permit and a study permit is required if you plan to study longer than 6 months.

What you need to apply

It will depend on the school that you apply to but generally schools will want to see the following information as part of your application to the school:


Original or certified copies of your high school diploma and other post-secondary education documentation, this should include courses you have taken and your grades.

Proof of language skills

Standard test results from a certified language test that evaluates your skills in reading, writing, understanding and speaking either English or French. Accepted tests include:

  • The Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Proof of good health

Depending on your home country, you might be required to pass a medical exam.  The exam will need to be done by an authorized doctor.

You can contact the school directly to get the application form and information you will need to apply to the school. The school can also provide you with information about:

  • the cost of applying
  • tuition fees
  • health insurance
  • rent and how much it will cost to live in Canada
  • language tests

Health insurance

If you are an international student the Canadian government does not provide medical coverage. Each province in Canada will have their own health coverage. It is a good idea to speak with the school you will be attending about applying for medical coverage.

Work while in school

Depending on the type of job you have while in school, you may be able to work while completing your studies.

Work on campus

You can work while in school on your school’s campus without a work permit if:

  • you are a full-time student, at a public college or university or private university
  • have a valid study permit

Work off campus

If you want to work off campus you will need to obtain a work permit. To be eligible for a work permit, you will have to be a full-time student at a college or university.

After studying in Vancouver, BC you may be eligible immigrate to Vancouver.

To learn more about schools and the possibilities to study in Vancouver, BC speak with a qualified immigration consultant at Bell Alliance Immigration

Subscribe to our newsletter for advice, tips, and the latest news.