Language Requirements for Express Entry
If you want to apply under Canada’s new skilled immigrant intake System. You will need to submit your language proficiency in English and/or French. You will need to meet the minimum language levels, which are different depending on the program you are qualified under.
Federal Skilled Worker Program
You will need to meet the minimum level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)7 in English or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC)7 in French for your first official language in listening, speaking, reading and writing abilities.
Canadian Experience Class
The Language level you need will depend on the group the job is classified in under the National Occupation Classification System (NOC).
- If your skilled work experience in Canada is in a job under NOC 0 or A, the minimum level is CLB7 (English) or NCLC 7 (French)
- If your skilled work experience in Canada is in a job under NOC B, the minimum level is CLB5 (English) or NCLC5 (French)
Federal Skilled Trades Program
The minimum language level under the Federal Skilled Trades Program is:
- CLB5 (English) or NCLC5 (French) for Speaking and Listening abilities, and
- CLB4 (English) or NCLC4 (French) for Reading and Writing abilities
How to meet the language requirements for Express Entry
- take a language test approved by IRCC that shows you meet the level for speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile. Your test results need to be less than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.
Higher Points, Higher Chance
Though under the Express Entry, candidates will be able to complete the profile when meeting the minimum language requirements. However, inside the Express Entry Pool, candidates do need to rank against each other. IRCC will pick qualified individuals with higher score according to CRS, which means a higher points will get the candidates stronger possibility to get the Invitation to Apply (ITA). In order to rank higher in the pool, we suggest candidates to attempt the highest Language test results as possible.
For more information, please contact us.